The National Flood Insurance Program's (NFIP) Community Rating System (CRS) was implemented in 1990 as an incentive program that recognizes and encourages community floodplain management activities that exceed the minimum NFIP requirements. Any community in full compliance with the minimum NFIP Floodplain management requirements may apply to join the CRS. As a result, flood insurance premium rates are discounted to reflect the reduced flood risk resulting from the community actions meeting the three goals of the CRS: 1. Reduce flood damage to insurable property; 2. Strengthen and support the insurance aspects of the NFIP, and; 3. Encourage a comprehensive approach to floodplain management
Scott Brazell is the principal community administrator in the daily implementation of Camden County's flood loss reduction activities including enforcing the community's flood damage prevention ordinance, updating flood maps, plans, and policies of the community, and any of the activities related to administration of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
1,296 Communities Participate in the CRS
Benefits of the CRS Lower cost of flood insurance rates are only one of the rewards a community receives from participating in the CRS. Other benefits include:
1. Citizens and property owners in CRS communities have increased opportunities to learn about risk, evaluate their individual vulnerabilities, and take action to protect themselves, as well as their homes and business.
2. CRS floodplain management activities provide enhanced public safety, reduced damage to property and public infrastructure, and avoidance of economic disruption and loss.
3. Communities can evaluate the effectiveness of their flood programs against a nationally recognized benchmark.
4. Technical assistance in designing and implementing some activities is available to community officials at no charge.
5. CRS communities have incentives to maintain and improve their flood programs over time.
Scott Brazell CRS, E & S Coordinator PO Box 99 200 East. 4th Street Woodbine, GA 31569 (Office located on 2nd floor of the Government Service Building)